COOKIES AND HOW THEY ARE USED
What are cookies and how do they work?
A cookie is a text file containing information that can be remembered by a web browser between pages. When an individual uses a web browser to access the internet their browser can create cookies which are stored on the user’s computer. Cookies are not programs and therefore cannot contain viruses or other malicious software. They are purely a string of text and numbers. There are two main types of cookies - session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies only last during a single visit. When a user closes their web browser the session cookie information is automatically removed from their computer.
The Hillcliff web site uses session cookies for two purposes:
- Two session cookies are set that temporarily store a unique identifier for each visitor to the website. This identifier is a random series of letters and numbers and doesn't contain any personal or identifiable information. It is used to help count the number of visitors to the Hillcliff web site.
- Two cookies are set by the computer systems that run the Hillcliff web site. These cookies are used as part of the process of sending web pages to the user's web browser and are essential - no website using Microsoft technology will work without these cookies.
Persistent cookies are stored by the user's web browser even when the web browser has been closed, so that the next time a user goes back to the website that originally set the cookie, the web site can read information back from the cookie. Persistent cookies have an expiry date which controls when they are automatically deleted. This can be anything from a few minutes to several years.
Hillcliff uses persistent cookies for the following purposes:
- Hillcliff uses their own cookies to remember which items a customer has put into their basket. By using a persistent cookie for this, a customer can close their web browser and come back to the Hillcliff Tools website subsequently and still be able to access items that had been put into their shopping basket on a previous visit. This cookie is essential for the functioning of the Hillcliff web site as without it customers would be unable to place items into the shopping basket. The cookie lasts for 1 year but is cleared once an order has been placed.
- A number of persistent cookies are also set by the computers that run the Hillcliff web site. These cookies are solely used to record technical information necessary for our web servers to work properly. No personally identifiable information in stored in these cookies.
- All cookies used by Hillcliff are 'first party' cookies. This means that any cookie set on the Hillcliff web site can only be read back from the Hillcliff web site. No other website is able to read or access information from any cookie set by the Hillcliff web site. We do not use 'third party' cookies which would permit this sort of behaviour by other web sites.
Controlling or deleting cookies
Please remember that if you delete or restrict cookies from the Hillcliff web site you may not be able to experience the full benefit of some of the features and services the web site has to offer.